Less than 6 weeks to Oracle OpenWorld, the conference will officially kick off on Sunday, September 22th.
My tips after a decade of regular attendance as a speaker and attendee of Oracle OpenWorld
1) Book and plan sessions as soon as possible the content catalog will be live in 2 weeks, as the best ones are "sold out" swiftly. Currently 2400 sessions are available, plan what you want to learn this year and keep that in mind when registering for the session. Use the target audience filter.
This year’s OpenWorld themes expect:
· A focus on cloud solutions.
· An updated strategy on fusion applications (Fusion turns 2 years old since general release). The new 2.0 website is much easier to navigate here is the link.
· Within, Oracle ‘s engineered systems expect a hardware announcement and a continuation from last year trend with an aggressive push towards workforce mobility.
· Product announcements will occur on Oracle technologies to solve vertical business issues, as a speculation expect an announcement to a more comprehensive big data solution and new features on the newly released 12c database.
2) Don’t miss Larry’s keynote, usually he provides the big announcements and summarizes well the strategy and themes of this year’s OpenWorld and the ongoing strategy.
3) If you only remember one thing, bring comfortable shoes. You can expect lots of walking and uncomfortable shoes can put a damper on energy very quickly.
4) Familiarize yourself with the Moscone floor plans
Moscone South floor plans
Moscone West floor plans
5) Visit the application demo's ground a great venue because its sole focus is to demo and test new applications. Despite the fact that you will be one of many participants, from my experiences you are given great attention.
6) Bring business cards for the many drawings that are often offered in the exhibit areas.
7) Use Twitter at OpenWorld, tweets specific to the conference will be using the following hashtag #OOW13, instant updates, specials, giveaways and comments/feedback from others at the conference.
8) Take advantages of networking opportunities when you can. There is much to be learned from others from other programs and places. Join in panel discussions, ride the shuttle buses.
9) Always carry your pass even at night time, many specials (discounts at restaurants and stores ~around 10-15%)
10) There is a bookshop on the second floor of Moscone West, where one can get numerous books and souvenirs. If you are into books you may plan to spend sometime looking at these books and buy few for you or your team members back home.They also arrange to send it to the suggested address if you want to avoid excess baggage.
Oracle OpenWorld is a must-attend business and IT conference event each year.
I’ll be there, and I will blog with twitter you can follow me at @AlexAntonatos and my focus this year will be on cloud solutions, architecture, Hyperion and Fusion sessions.
Also looking forward to the following Oracle ACE activities during OpenWorld 2013:
• Sun, Sep 22: Annual Oracle ACE Dinner
• Wed, Sep 25: Blogger Meetup, Jillians
Have I missed any other helpful tips? Leave a comment!